Mountain biking specialist
- Job Level : Entry Level (less than 2 years)
- Job Type : Seasonal
- Date Updated : 04/19/2021
- Years of Experience : Not Applicable
- Starting Date : 06/16/2021
- Club House Name : Camp Mendocino
- Job Status : Full Time
Camp Mendocino is a residential summer camp located in Northern California. All Camp Employees are expected to live, sleep and work at Camp. Camp Mendocino provides meals and lodging for the duration of the employment period.
Boys & Girls Clubs of San Francisco (BGCSF) is dedicated to providing children and teens with safe, fun places to learn and grow, with professional staff to offer support and guidance, serving as caring mentors and role models. One aspect of Boys & Girls Clubs of San Francisco's programs is Camp Mendocino (our residential summer camp). Camp Mendocino is a nationally recognized program where staff members work with youth ages 8 to 17 of all backgrounds to help them gain the qualities and skills needed to become responsible citizens and leaders.
Camp is located four hours north of San Francisco and spread over 2,000 acres. We provide transportation between San Francisco and Camp at the start and end of the summer.
We offer a wide range of activities at Camp including: swimming, a four part challenge course, mountain biking, archery, dance and drama, arts and crafts, environmental education, sports, overnight camping, and much more!
Boys & Girls Clubs of San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity Employer. View other exciting career opportunities with Boys & Girls Clubs of San Francisco by viewing our webpage at www.kidsclub.org/jobs.
The Mountain Biking Specialist provides fun and challenging biking programs for all youth to promote healthy lifestyles and teach basic biking skills. This position also provides maintenance and upkeep for up to 40 mountain bikes. A critical aspect of this position is to ensure safety, and to assess each individual and situation for possible risk factors.
- Plan and implement the biking program
- Ensure safety of all campers, including setting clear safety expectations, observing and engaging campers while in their care, assessing the appropriateness of camper behaviors, following emergency procedures and all COVID-19 safety protocols.
- Ensure that all specific COVID-19 bike protocols are being followed.
- Develop basic biking skills with youth including bike safety
- Engage youth in challenging and fun biking activities
- Maintain bike center and equipment
- Foster character development consistent with BGCSF philosophy
- Run activities with youth including but not limited to: wellness activities, team building, outdoor education, hiking, and overnight camping
- Must engage campers with a positive attitude
- Other duties as specified by direct supervisor
Experience and Skills
- Experience providing youth with biking instruction
- Ability to asses and react accordingly to individual youth biking capability to ensure safety
- Ability to fix and repair bicycles
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with coworkers and campers
- Ability to handle difficult or stressful situations in a professional manner
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Experience working with youth in an overnight camp setting
- Experience working with youth from disadvantaged circumstances
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Must be able to walk on uneven terrain for at least 3 miles
- Must be able to be stand for 8 hours (with breaks)
- Must be able to work in temperatures ranging from 30° to 100°
SCHEDULE: Temporary/Seasonal position. Applicants should be available June 16 - August 2, 2021 to work & live on-site at our Camp location in Northern California (Mendocino County). Please note that any offer of employment and/or start date are contingent on BGCSF's response to the COVID-19 virus. An offer may be rescinded or the start date adjusted, depending on the needs of the organization during this unprecedented global pandemic.