Residential Summer Camp Counselor
- Job Level : Entry Level (less than 2 years)
- Job Type : Seasonal
- Date Updated : 04/19/2021
- Years of Experience : Not Applicable
- Starting Date : 06/16/2021
- Club House Name : Camp Mendocino
- Job Status : Full Time
Camp Mendocino is a residential summer camp located in Northern California. All Camp Employees are expected to live, sleep and work at Camp. Camp Mendocino provides meals and lodging for the duration of the employment period.
Boys & Girls Clubs of San Francisco (BGCSF) is dedicated to providing children and teens with safe, fun places to learn and grow, with professional staff to offer support and guidance, serving as caring mentors and role models. One aspect of Boys & Girls Clubs of San Francisco's programs is Camp Mendocino (our residential summer camp). Camp Mendocino is a nationally recognized program where staff members work with youth ages 8 to 17 of all backgrounds to help them gain the qualities and skills needed to become responsible citizens and leaders.
Camp is located four hours north of San Francisco and spread over 2,000 acres. We provide transportation between San Francisco and Camp at the start and end of the summer.
We offer a wide range of activities at Camp including: swimming, a four part challenge course, mountain biking, archery, dance and drama, arts and crafts, environmental education, sports, overnight camping, and much more!
Boys & Girls Clubs of San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity Employer. View other exciting career opportunities with Boys & Girls Clubs of San Francisco by viewing our webpage at www.kidsclub.org/jobs.
A Camp Counselor works closely with a small team to supervise a group of up to 20 youth. Ensures a fun, safe, and positive camp experience for campers. A Camp Counselor manages behavior issues and participates in all Camp activities, runs some activities whilst always promoting positive character development.
- Responsible for participation of small groups of youth in assigned activities
- Ensure youth engage in appropriately in all Camp activities
- Provide emotional support and guidance to campers
- Ensure campers’ medical needs are met through monitoring, and utilizing onsite infirmary staff
- Foster growth in the areas of: life skills, self care, and interpersonal skills
- Ensure safety of all campers in their group including setting clear safety expectations, observing and engaging campers while in their care, assessing the appropriateness of camper behaviors, following emergency procedures and all COVID-19 safety protocols.
- Supervise youth at all times including overnight in a cabin with approximately 5 campers
- Engage campers with positivity, including participating in all activities, overnight hikes, and other activities such as swimming, arts & crafts, archery, biking, hiking, gardening, environmental education, and challenge course elements
- Lead & plan traditional Camp activities, including but not limited to: arts & crafts, archery, hiking, environmental education, and sports.
- Foster character development consistent with BGCSF philosophy
- Other duties as specified by direct supervisor
Experience and Skills
- Previous experience in supervising and developing youth
- Minimum of 2 years experience working with youth
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with coworkers and campers
- Ability to handle difficult or stressful situations in a professional manner
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Experience working with youth in an overnight camp setting
- Experience working with youth from disadvantaged circumstances
BY THE END OF THE SUMMER, AN INCREDIBLE CAMP COUNSELOR WILL:
- Help build a safe & positive environment
- Create opportunities for fun & belonging for all campers
- Establish supportive relationships with campers and adult staff
- Encourage a sense of belonging, usefulness, influence, confidence in campers
- Must be able to lift 50lbs.
- Must be able to walk on uneven terrain for at least 3 miles
- Must be able to be stand for 8 hours (with breaks)
- Must be able to work in temperatures ranging from 30° to 100°
SCHEDULE: Temporary/Seasonal position. Applicants should be available June 16 - August 2, 2021 to work & live on-site at our Camp location in Northern California (Mendocino County). Please note that any offer of employment and/or start date are contingent on BGCSF's response to the COVID-19 virus. An offer may be rescinded or the start date adjusted, depending on the needs of the organization during this unprecedented global pandemic.